Register as a Third Party Advertiser>
Have something to say?
Any person, corporation, or trade union that plans to spend money on political advertisements during the 2022 Markham Municipal Election needs to register as a third party advertiser.
Register from May 2 at 9 AM to October 21, 2022 at 5 PM.
There is no cost to register.
Watch Candidate & third Party Advertiser Information Session
Third party advertising is any form of paid political advertising that promotes, supports, or opposes a candidate or question on the ballot, and is put out by a person or entity who is not a candidate.
Third party advertisements include any materials appearing in a paid broadcast, print or electronic formats (including paid social media), as well as traditional campaign marketing tactics like brochures, posters, signs, clothing and other promotional products.
Expressing your opinion through activities that do not involve spending money is not considered third party advertising.
For example, you do not need to register as a third party advertiser to:
- Speak with friends about your local candidates or community issues
- Post a message on social media that does not incur costs
- Send an email to people on your private contact list
Advertising about an issue rather than a candidate or a question on the ballot is not third party advertising.
For example, signs that promote support for local businesses or environmental sustainability are not third party advertising, even if these issues are part of a candidate’s election campaign platform.
Advertising about an election by Elections Markham and other departments of the City of Markham is not considered third party advertising.
Social media posts are generally not considered third party advertising, unless they involve production or distribution costs (known as paid social media).
Like all other forms of third party advertising, lawn signs must identify the third party advertiser’s name, contact information and municipality of registration. Lawn signs can be posted from September 26 to October 24, 2022, and are subject to City and Regional bylaws, including permit fees, locational restrictions and public safety standards.
Municipal election laws do not prohibit campaign telephone calls, which includes individual calls as well as robocalls (also known as automated calls). This form of outreach is considered a legitimate campaign activity, and candidates or third party advertisers can communicate with voters in this manner themselves, or by hiring call centre agents during the campaign period.
If you are registered on the National Do Not Call List, you may still receive calls from third party advertisers and candidates. Refer to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) for more information.
You can register as a third party advertiser in the 2022 Markham Municipal Election if you are:
- An Ontario resident;
- A corporation carrying on business in Ontario; or,
- A trade union that holds bargaining rights for employees in Ontario.
You cannot register as a third party advertiser if you are:
- A candidate running for any Ontario municipal council or school board office;
- A candidate in the 2022 Ontario Provincial Election (until after the election);
- A business, group, or association that is not a corporation or trade union;
- A political party; or,
- Disqualified for previous violations of election campaign finance law.
- Step 1: Confirm your eligibility
- Step 2: Read the 2022 Third Party Advertisers’ Guide [PDF]
- Step 3: Scan or take a picture of the following identification:
- Photo ID
- Ontario Driver’s Licence, Ontario Photo Card, Canadian Passport, Certificate of Indian Status, etc.
- If applicable, proof of authorization to act on behalf of the corporation or trade union
- Step 4: Request third party advertiser registration from firstname.lastname@example.org
- Step 5: Book and attend your virtual Third Party Advertiser Registration Meeting
- Step 1: Contact Elections Markham to make an appointment to withdraw your nomination at the Elections Markham Returning Office
- Step 2: Complete and sign a Withdrawal of Registration Form
Third party advertisers who withdraw from the election are still required to file a post-election advertising campaign financial statement by March 31, 2023 by 2 PM.
Municipal election law sets out certain rules for third party advertisers.
All third party advertisers are to include identifying information on all of their advertisements, including:
- Their legal name;
- The municipality where they are registered; and,
- A phone number, email address, or mailing address where they can be contacted.
Outside of the above, there are no other content requirements or restrictions imposed by municipal election law on third party advertisements.
Third party advertisers are subject to many of the same spending limits and financial reporting rules as candidates. Third party advertisers can’t spend any money towards political advertising until after they register and open a campaign bank account. They have to limit their spending to a defined amount and file a post-election financial statement reflecting their advertising activities during the campaign period.
If a third party advertiser registers in more than one municipality, they have to keep each advertising campaign separate.
For example, if the third party advertiser receives donations towards their campaign in Municipality A, they can’t use those funds to cover expenses for their campaign in Municipality B. The third party advertiser also has to file separate financial statements in each municipality where they have registered.
- May 2, 2022 at 9 AM to October 21, 2022 by 5 PM: Third party advertiser registration period
- September 26, 2022 to October 24, 2022: Permitted posting period for campaign signs
- March 31, 2023 by 2 PM: Deadline to file advertising campaign financial statement
- September 29, 2023 by 2 PM: Deadline to file supplementary advertising campaign financial statement (if the third party advertiser requested a campaign extension by January 3, 2023)
Markham Civic Centre
101 Town Centre Boulevard
Markham, Ontario, L3R 9W3
905.477.7000 x8683 (VOTE)